[tproxy] Squid with tproxy extra brief FAQ

Laszlo Attila Toth panther at balabit.hu
Mon Feb 25 10:26:30 CET 2008

Hello,

thanks for this FAQ.

Some additional comments:

Ming-Ching Tiew wrote:
> 1. There are at least 3 different versions of tproxy kernel patches.
>
>     Each tproxy kernel patch is quite strongly tied to a kernel version,
>
>     tproxy2              - kernel 2.6.18    - don't know where it is now,
>                                                             google for it.

The url is:

http://www.balabit.hu/downloads/files/tproxy/obsolete/

>     tproxy-4.0.x       - kernel 2.6.22    - balabit website

http://www.balabit.hu/downloads/files/tproxy/

>     tproxy-4.1.0       - kernel 2.6.25    - netfilter website or balabit website

AFAIK the "official website" is for kernel <=2.6.24
http://people.netfilter.org/hidden/tproxy

but the actual version of tproxy 4.1 for 2.6.25 is here:
http://people.balabit.hu/panther/tproxy

>     The kernel patch might work with nearby kernel versions, for example,
>     tproxy2 might work with kernel 2.6.19; however it will not work
>     will kernel 2.6.22 ( unless you port it ).
>

> 3. All the tproxy kernel patches are not compatible with one another.
>     Each requires it's own way of setup and usage. So before doing
>     anything, check if you have gotten the correct info/tproxy version/patches.
>
>     These are some of the info :-
>
>       tproxy2       - Requires additional patch to get SNAT working
>                            Don't seem to have problem with bridge
>
>       tproxy4.0.x - Requires additional patches for SNAT and FWMARK.
>                            Some hurdles with bridge.
>
>       tproxy4.1.0 - Still in the cooking.
>                            Some hurdles with bridge.

Currently the latter version is under testing in bridge environment
(when I have enough time for it), but I have no idea yet why it is not
working.

--
Panther