[tproxy] socket match can't work with DNAT rules

Balazs Scheidler bazsi at balabit.hu
Wed Dec 17 22:24:27 CET 2008

On Tue, 2008-12-16 at 20:24 +0530, Arun Srinivasan wrote:
> With the tproxy server as given in my scenario, I have a lot of
> flexibilities:
> 1. The high-end caching (tproxy) server can offer thro'put advantages.
> 2. Original IP of the clients can be retained thro' tproxy support
> 3. Another IP based traffic identification/metering mechanism can sit
> between comp/tunneling-agent2 and the web server and monitor the
> traffic.
>
> whereas in the conventional scenario suggested by you, point # 2 and #
> 3 would fail.
>
> Tproxy4 socket is not a secure tunnel like that of IPSec to prevent
> DNATs from happening.
>
> IMHO, I feel that the tproxy-local DNAT issue is a kind of restriction
> in the name of a new feature.

true enough, older tproxies did support local OUTPUT rules, but the new
one doesn't.

it might be possible to support it though with tproxy 4.1 (aka the
version of tproxy in linux 2.6.28):

* TPROXY rules live in the mangle table
* tproxy 4.1 diverts traffic using marks (e.g. it attaches a given mark,
and then your routing rules divert these packets to the local IP stack)
* you can possibly use the TPROXY target even in mangle/OUTPUT
* it might be possible to change the "socket" match in order to look up
the local socket based on the source address instead of the destination
address (it does not support this at the moment), or use an alternative
match to have a grab on the tproxied traffic
* the once you have a matching rule, you need to attach the same mark
used by the TPROXY rule, which will trigger the same policy routing
rule.

so technically it should be possible, however I don't really have time
to do that right now. I'd be willing to help you, if you are willing to
implement it.