[tproxy] socket match can't work with DNAT rules

Balazs Scheidler bazsi at balabit.hu
Tue Dec 16 14:41:46 CET 2008

On Tue, 2008-12-16 at 10:46 +0530, Arun Srinivasan wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Balazs comment 1:
> "You cannot use DNAT and tproxy on the same connection. What do you
> want
> to achieve?"
>
> This is a common scenario. Say you have an intermediate compression
> agent/tunneling agent between the tproxy server and the web server as
> shown below:
>
> Client <--------> tproxy server <---------> compression/tunneling
> agent1 <=============> compression/tunneling agent2
> <------------------> web server
>
> In this case, the output from the tproxy server has to be DNATted or
> policy routed to the compression/tunneling agent. Policy routing is
> possible if the compression/tunneling agent lies outside the box. In
> case, if it runs as another process along with the tproxy server, DNAT
> is the only option, AFAIK.
>
> Balazs comment 2:
> "If you want to change the target address of the server side
> connection,
> why don't you DNAT the server connection? That should work."
>
> Not able to understand what you exactly mean by "DNAT the server
> connection".
>
> If my understanding is correct, Tproxy association is only for the
> socket created between client and the tproxy server. If that is the
> case, why does socket match failure happen for the socket created
> between tproxy server and DNAT server?

No, tproxy _may_ operate for both the client->tproxy and the
tproxy->server connections, not just between client & tproxy.

However, you're right that tproxy does not support redirecting the
traffic if the upstream for tproxy is running on the same box, the
reason is simple, tproxy also uses routing to direct traffic to a local
process, and it is not currently possible to divert outgoing traffic
back to the input interface. but never mind.

So in the scenario above, what is the added value of using "tproxy"
instead of plain, simple NAT.

client -> REDIRECT in nat/PREROUTING -> proxy1 -> DNAT in nat/OUTPUT ->
compression/tunneling agent1 <-> compression/tunneling agent2 ->
webserver

the added value of tproxy over using NAT is increased performance (no
NAT is required) and solving the problems related to the conntrack table
and local IP stack state to get out of sync.