[tproxy] Latest tproxy patch for kernel, iptables and squid

Eduardo Schoedler eschoedler at viavale.com.br
Thu Dec 4 03:16:43 CET 2008

Hello Balazs!

I've compiled kernel-2.6.26-7 and applied the patch in the site.

# dmesg | grep TPROXY
NF_TPROXY: Transparent proxy support initialized, version 4.1.0
NF_TPROXY: Copyright (c) 2006-2007 BalaBit IT Ltd.

For iptables, I've used the 1.4.0 sources... it's working ok, I guess. =)

But the Squid is a little bit strange.
I've compiled 3.HEAD (20081121), with that have support for tproxy.

# ./configure  --prefix=/opt/squid \
 --sysconfdir=/etc/squid \
 --with-default-user=squid \
 --enable-icmp \
 --disable-auth \
 --enable-removal-policies="lru,heap" \
 --disable-digest-auth-helpers \
 --disable-basic-auth-helpers \
 --disable-external-acl-helpers \
 --disable-ntlm-auth-helpers \
 --disable-negotiate-auth-helpers \
 --enable-useragent-log \
 --enable-cache-digests \
 --enable-delay-pools \
 --enable-referer-log \
 --enable-arp-acl \
 --with-large-files \
 --with-filedescriptors=16384 \
 --enable-storeio=ufs,diskd,aufs \
 --enable-linux-netfilter

My squid.conf (like the tproxy readme):
   http_port 50080 tproxy transparent

The strange thing is when I'm trying to create swap directories. See:

# ./squid -z
2008/12/03 23:07:10| http(s)_port: TPROXY option requires its own
interception port. It cannot be shared.
FATAL: Bungled squid.conf line 992: http_port 50080 tproxy transparent
Squid Cache (Version 3.HEAD-20081121): Terminated abnormally.
CPU Usage: 0.004 seconds = 0.000 user + 0.004 sys
Maximum Resident Size: 0 KB
Page faults with physical i/o: 0

I don't understand why of this problem.
No one process is using that port.