[tproxy] tproxy4, kernel 2.6.22 and squid-2.6.stable13

Ming-Ching Tiew mingching.tiew at redtone.com
Mon Dec 10 10:27:00 CET 2007

From: "Ming-Ching Tiew" <mingching.tiew at redtone.com>

> You are right, it might not be 'tproxy' at all. Because when squid makes a
> outbound connection, the modified squid will use IP_FREEBIND
> to spoof an outgoing IP. There is no tproxy redirect involved at all. It's
> purely an outbound connection binded to a foreign IP using IP_FREEBIND.

To put things in perspective, this is my conclusion now :-

1. IP_FREEBIND has problem working with mangle table MARK
    in the OUTPUT chain.

    This problem exists before Kovac's patch to fix SNAT. So I
    believe all current users of tproxy 4.0.3 on kernel 2.6.22
    will see the same problem.

2. When there is an iptables rule which marks the mangle OUTPUT
    chain, the packets cannot leave the computer at all if the
    source IP is a foreign IP. This is not about unable to get replies.

    This has been confirmed using tcpdump.

3. In case (2), if the source IP is a local IP, then there is no
    problem, even if it is an ip_freebind socket and there is FWMARK
    in the socket buffer.

    So it is not so much about FWMARK or freebind socket per se. It's
    more too do with FWMARK packets seems to be taking a different
    route compared to without, and that route has problem with foreign
    IP in the source.

4. My very humble guess is that it's all to do with routing of FWMARK
    packets with foreign IP in the source. But I am not knowledgible
    enough to debug further.

This is as far as I can go. Anyone who finds it otherwise please let me
know. :-) I will appreciate further pointers to further debug the problem.

Regards.