[tproxy] TProxy version 4.0.0 released

Cameron Schaus cam at schaus.ca
Thu Aug 2 00:03:35 CEST 2007

On Tue, Jul 31, 2007 at 12:31:35PM +0200, Laszlo Attila Toth wrote:
> TProxy version 4.0.0 has been released for Linux 2.6.17 (Ubuntu
> 2.6.17.1-12.39) and 2.6.23-rc1

I downloaded the TProxy version 4.0.0 tarball for 2.6.17, patched and
built myself a kernel.  I am now trying to get a test
foreign-tcp-connect program working to test my kernel.  But, I must be
missing something, because my test program is not working.

Here is what I've done:

- loaded the tproxy modules on the client test machine
 # modprobe xt_proxy
 # modprobe iptable_tproxy tproxy_any=1

- added a static arp entry for the foreign address on my web server
  pointing to the client test machine

- execute my c program on the client machine,
  which essentially does the following
  (I can post the code if it is helpful)

  sock = socket(AF_INET, SOCK_STREAM, 0);
  setsockopt(sock, SOL_IP, IP_FREEBIND, &socktop, sizeof(sockopt));
  /* local bind */
  bind( sock, FOREIGN_IP, FOREIGN_PORT );
  connect( sock, REMOTE_IP, REMOTE_PORT );

The connect hangs while the client machine (running the foreign
connect program) sends out ARP packets asking who-has the foriegn
address.

What am I missing in the above steps to get my foreign-connect program
working?

Lastly, I noticed the set of diffs published does not include the
IP_TRANSPARENT socket option.  Has this setsockopt been dropped?

Thanks,
Cam