[tproxy] Re: Request: including tproxy patch to official iptables/kernel.

Yoshioka Tsuneo tsuneo.yoshioka at f-secure.com
Tue Oct 17 18:17:55 CEST 2006

Hello KOVACS Krisztian

>   Yes, there was significant progress since then, we're testing the
> patches at the moment. There still are a couple of problems with the new
> approach, but it certainly looks promising. I'll post the patches on
> netfilter-devel for review and comments as soon as things have settled
> down a bit.
Thank you for your planning to new tproxy version. I'm looking forward
to the new version !

>   Moreover, I think there's no general consensus between networking
> maintainers whether or not the features tproxy provides are worth the
> hassles. Transparent proxying features have been removed during the 2.3
> development as there seemed little interest in those. Of course there are
> a handful of companies interested in having the feature in mainline, but
> let's face the facts: the majority of users do not care about tproxy.
> That's why I don't even try to get it merged.
I think that this is not so minor request.
At long as I heard, most of transparent-proxy user want to keep source
IP address, if possible.
Changing source IP address prevent IP address based access control or
make it difficult to analize log files, or tracing.
Some of appliance server can keep source IP addresses, but I think that it
is better that normal kernel user can use this feature without difficulty,
too.

Thank you !

--
Nihon F-Secure Corporation