[tproxy] UDP tproxy

KOVACS Krisztian hidden@balabit.hu
Sat, 16 Oct 2004 15:25:00 +0200

   Hi,

Javier Govea wrote:
> I have only one last question, it is just curiosity. redirect-udp-recv.c has the following
> lines of code.
>
>   /* check tproxy version */
>   itp.op = TPROXY_VERSION;
>   itp.v.version = 0x02000000;
>   if (setsockopt(sock, SOL_IP, IP_TPROXY, &itp, sizeof(itp)) == -1)
>     {
>       perror("setsockopt(SOL_IP, IP_TPROXY, TPROXY_VERSION)");
>       return -1;
>     }
>
> Is this part optional? What happen if I set the wrong version? Does it mean that my
> program works only a specific tproxy version?

   Yes, it's optional. It is an illustration on how to detect whether
the tproxy version in the kernel is compatible with this version of the
interface. The user-space software requests interface version 2.0.0
(0x20000000) from the kernel, and the setsockopt fails if the tproxy
implementation does not support this interface. Note that in spite of
using setsockopt(), this operation does not set anything, it just barely
returns if a compatible interface is supported. The same operation with
getsockopt() simply returns the interface version number.

--
  Regards,
   Krisztian KOVACS