[syslog-ng] Processing orphaned disk queue files

Steve Bernacki steve at copacetic.net
Mon Mar 6 17:31:48 UTC 2023

Hello,

I am using syslog-ng OSE 3.29. I have two destinations that I recently
redefined in order to spread load out across a number of receivers.
However, having done this, I now have orphaned queue files of
considerable size that I'd like to process through.

I found one reference on how to do this with syslog-ng PE which is
documented at
https://support-public.cfm.quest.com/46246_syslog-ng-pe-diskbuffer-recovery.pdf,
but I'm finding the OSE tools are acting slightly differently, for
example persist-tool dump prints its output as hex instead of ASCII, as
is documented in the PDF I linked to above. In addition, the process is
fairly involved, which makes me nervous to experiment with this.

Looking at the command output for "dqtool --help", I see there are a
number of commands listed that are not documented anywhere, like
"relocate" and "assign", which look like they may be helpful to me. Does
anyone know if these can be used to help me process through these logs?

Thanks
Steve