[syslog-ng] Insider 2023-02: 4.0; Azure; 101; FreeBSD;

Peter Czanik (pczanik) Peter.Czanik at oneidentity.com
Thu Feb 16 15:53:03 UTC 2023

Dear syslog-ng users,

This is the 107th issue of syslog-ng Insider, a monthly newsletter that brings you syslog-ng-related news.

NEWS

Version 4.0 of syslog-ng available
----------------------------------
After almost 14 years, a new major version of syslog-ng is available. Type support for name-value pairs is now available and Python support received major improvements. For a complete list of changes, check the release notes: https://github.com/syslog-ng/syslog-ng/releases/tag/syslog-ng-4.0.1
Version 4.0.1 is already part of some of the Linux distributions, but for most of the distributions you have to use 3rd-party packages to install syslog-ng 4.0.
Debian / Ubuntu: https://www.syslog-ng.com/community/b/blog/posts/installing-the-latest-syslog-ng-on-ubuntu-and-other-deb-distributions
openSUSE / SLES / Fedora / RHEL: https://www.syslog-ng.com/community/b/blog/posts/installing-latest-syslog-ng-on-rhel-and-other-rpm-distributions
FreeBSD ports are not yet updated, due to a temporary problem, but you can still compile syslog-ng 4.0 yourself: https://www.syslog-ng.com/community/b/blog/posts/installing-syslog-ng-4-0-1-on-freebsd

Feeding events with syslog-ng PE to Azure Event Hub and Google Pub/Sub
The syslog-ng Premium Edition (PE) application is built on the solid foundation of syslog-ng Open Source Edition (OSE). PE inherits many of the OSE features and adds cloud-related features, among others. Our latest webinar shows you how to send log messages to Azure Event Hub and Google Pub/Sub.
https://www.syslog-ng.com/community/b/blog/posts/feeding-events-with-syslog-ng-pe-to-azure-event-hub-and-google-pub-sub

syslog-ng 101: how to get started with learning syslog-ng?
How to get started with syslog-ng? There are two main resources: the syslog-ng documentation and the syslog-ng blogs. You should learn the concepts and basics from the documentation. The blogs document use cases and you can use the docs as a reference.
https://www.syslog-ng.com/community/b/blog/posts/syslog-ng-101-how-to-get-started-with-learning-syslog-ng

Compiling syslog-ng git snapshots on FreeBSD
The syslog-ng team publishes nightly syslog-ng git snapshot builds for Debian and Ubuntu. I publish weekly snapshot builds for RPM distributions. Recently, I was asked if creating git snapshot builds for FreeBSD is also possible. Yes, it is. That is how I test syslog-ng on FreeBSD. However, it needs some extra preparations.
https://www.syslog-ng.com/community/b/blog/posts/compiling-syslog-ng-git-snapshots-on-freebsd

WEBINARS

* You can browse recordings of past webinars at https://www.syslog-ng.com/events/

Your feedback and news, or tips about the next issue are welcome. To read this newsletter online, visit: https://syslog-ng.com/blog/

Peter Czanik (CzP) <peter.czanik at oneidentity.com>
Balabit (a OneIdentity company) / syslog-ng upstream
https://syslog-ng.com/community/
https://twitter.com/PCzanik