[syslog-ng] syslog-ng-3.38.1 causing type hint errors in patterndb - bug?

Evan Rempel erempel at uvic.ca
Mon Nov 21 16:21:54 UTC 2022

We have a patterndb file that contains both patterns and values with
fixed text that include a strings of the form "xxxx (yyy)" which now can
not be loaded by the patterndb.

Syslog-ng throws the error

Error parsing pattern database file; ... Error compiling value template,
rule=FLARE-3543, name=AUTHPROGRAM, value=su(pam_unix), error=Unknown
type specified in type hinting: su'

I have not enabled the version 4.0 testing of type hinting. The version
configuration is

@version: 3.36

I am unable to find documentation for the full syntax of the patterndb
file (seems to have been lost from the docs since perhaps 3.16?)

Is there a patterndb syntax specification document?

I would expect that even when type hinting is enabled in the patterndb
file, given that it is an XML document, that the type hinting would be
part of the XML tag metadata, rather than part of the XML static data.

--
Evan