[syslog-ng] Yocto: build syslog-ng with Python support

Christian Hollermann chollermann at rosen-group.com
Wed Feb 16 07:29:42 UTC 2022

Hi,
in our project we use a Yocto based build system (branch dunfell, Linux Kernel 5.10) for a while. At the next step, we plan to capture log messages from different sources with the help of syslog-ng (3.24.1). For some sources we will use a Python script that implements an interface to another system. Our problem is now, that we cannot build syslog-ng with a working Python support. Our build completes successfully, but the newly generated library 'libmod-python.so' seems to be broken as we get an error message when we use the following command to verify the installation.

syslog-ng --module-registry | grep python
Error opening plugin module; module='mod-python', error='/usr/lib/syslog-ng/libmod-python.so: undefined symbol: PyExc_ValueError'
Module: mod-python

Below you can see our current syslog recipe.

syslog-ng_%.bbappend:

FILESEXTRAPATHS_append := ":${THISDIR}/${PN}"

DEPENDS += " python3 "

# Override of default config file
SRC_URI += "file://syslog-ng.conf.systemd"

# Just to be sure
EXTRA_OECONF_remove = "--disable-python"

# Enable Python Support
EXTRA_OECONF += "--enable-python --with-python=3"

Can you give us hint, how to to fix this behavior?

Thanks and Regards,
Christian