[syslog-ng] Tips to diagnose missing syslog messages?

Klimek, Bryan J. bklimek at mayo.edu
Tue Jun 15 13:18:36 UTC 2021

If you are using UDP, understand that there is no "guarantee of delivery". You can see if you are having any UDP packet loss by running 'netstat -su'. Look for the number associated with 'receive buffer errors'.

If 'receive buffer errors' Is not zero, then you are losing messages. Understand that the 'receive buffer errors' Is cumulative and only goes up and is never reset until a reboot. So if you want to "watch" the number, you need to query it on a daily basis to understand how many packets you are losing per day.

Bryan