[syslog-ng] query on using throttle in syslog-ng.conf file

SIMON BABY simonkbaby at gmail.com
Sun Feb 7 06:18:42 UTC 2021

Hello Team,

I am new to this group and I have a query on adding the throttle attribute
in syslog-ng.conf file. My target is little slow to process all the
messages sent by the sender and sometimes  the link connected to the target
device is broken. I am thinking of slowing down the sender by adding the
throttle attribute.
I have the below queries:

1) What exactly the throttle confoguration does?
2) What does throttle(500) mean ? will it send 500 Bytes per second or 500
messages per second? What does the message here mean ? Can it be the entire
message sent by the application ? Is there an upper limit and lower limit ?
3) Any side effect of my system if I am going to use throttle().
4) Any other method  in syslog-ng to delay the logs sending at the sender?
5) My destination configuration is below. Is it a valid configuration ?

destination logFiler { file("/var/log/wq.log"

    template("${FULLDATE}${TZ} ${HOST} ${PROGRAM} [$LEVEL] ${MSG}\n")

    template_escape(yes)

    throttle(500));};

Thank you for your time.

Regards