[syslog-ng] [patch] new feature for file destination: persistent symlinks

Gabor Nagy (gnagy) Gabor.Nagy at oneidentity.com
Sun Dec 5 16:49:47 UTC 2021

Hello Andrea!

Thank you for your contribution! We always welcome feedback and contribution from the community!

I've quickly checked your patch, and it looks good. Maybe minor things could be changed, but we will see this during a thorough review.

We integrate patches via pull requests on GitHub. [1]
How would you like to continue this contribution?
Would you like to open a pull request on GitHub?

I see a corner case of the feature: if the filename template is not time-based, like e.g. $PROGRAM or $HOST, it can happen that the symlink is changed several times in a short time.
This is not an argument against the feature, it's just a behaviour that should be considered and documented.
As I see, the feature in general creates a symlink with the name given in "symlink_as" option when a new file is opened.
In other words: the configured symlink always points to the latest file that were opened.

Best Regards,
Gábor

[1] https://github.com/syslog-ng/syslog-ng