[syslog-ng] Syslog-NG within Kubernetes

Allen Olivas allen.olivas at infodefense.com
Mon Sep 21 22:07:02 UTC 2020

Hello all,

I've been working on a containerized and orchestrated environment for a little while now (learning how it all works and slowly implementing it). One step I need to add is Syslog-NG.

I"ve copied down the Syslog-NG Docker files and attempted adding these to a deployment in Kubernetes. Syslog-NG appears to be running  successfully in Docker but in Kubernetes the logs I get say:

syslog-ng: Error setting capabilities, capability management disabled; error='Operation not permitted'

I'm not entirely sure where to turn too from this point. I've looked online for any ideas or resolution to this issue but so far non seem to work for my use case. I figured maybe someone on the mailing list might have an Idea? Specifically I'm trying to find out what that error means, and
how best to orchestrate a containerized Syslog-NG.

Thanks!