[syslog-ng] Insider 2020-03: syslog-ng-stable; macOS; BastilleBSD;

Peter Czanik (pczanik) Peter.Czanik at oneidentity.com
Thu Mar 19 11:00:05 UTC 2020

Dear syslog-ng users,

This is the 79th issue of syslog-ng Insider, a monthly newsletter that brings you syslog-ng-related news.

NEWS

Introducing the syslog-ng-stable RPM repositories
For many years – especially after syslog-ng changed to a rolling release model – users I talked to asked for up-to-date RPM packages. They also asked for a separate repository for each new release to avoid surprises (a new release might accidentally or even intentionally break old features) and to be able to use a given release if they want to (“if it works, do not fix it”). That is how my unofficial RPM repositories were born.

Recently some long-time syslog-ng users and members of the Splunk community started to ask for a repository, which always has the latest syslog-ng version available. Most users still prefer to use separate repositories. That is how I came up with the idea for the syslog-ng-stable repository: I push a new release to this new rolling repo only after at least a week of delay. This is enough to spot most major problems. Once the delay is over and everything seems to be OK, I can push the latest release to the syslog-ng-stable repo. If there is a bigger problem, I can skip the release in the stable repo or wait for a fix.
https://www.syslog-ng.com/community/b/blog/posts/introducing-the-syslog-ng-stable-rpm-repositories

How to install syslog-ng on macOS
---------------------------------
A member of the syslog-ng community wrote a guide on how to enable syslog-ng on macOS: “My goal was to send any kind of Mac logs to a big data platform (Devo). Mac already comes with syslogd, which is the Apple System Log server. It is basically a daemon that processes syslog messages but to be honest, it’s pretty old and basic. As a result, I decided to try syslog-ng.”
https://medium.com/macoclock/how-to-install-syslog-ng-on-macos-965127f1c05c

Running syslog-ng in BastilleBSD
--------------------------------
Bastille is a container management system for FreeBSD. If you are coming from a Linux world, it is a bit like Docker or Podman / Buildah from Red Hat, at least some of its functionality. I learned about BastilleBSD right before my Christmas holidays. Currently my primary work platform is Linux and I am just preparing to learn about Kubernetes and OpenShift. I planned not to do anything work-related during my holidays – which is quite difficult, if your hobby heavily overlaps with your work. Having some strong FreeBSD roots (started to use FreeBSD in 1994), BastilleBSD arrived just on time to be a good excuse to do something IT-related :-)
https://www.syslog-ng.com/community/b/blog/posts/running-syslog-ng-in-bastillebsd

NEW WHITE PAPERS

* Upgrade to State-of-the-Art Log Management: https://www.syslog-ng.com/whitepaper/log-management-essentials8137754/

WEBINARS

* Learn how to easily integrate Azure Sentinel into your log-data strategy: https://www.brighttalk.com/webcast/16207/390780

* You can browse recordings of past webinars at https://www.syslog-ng.com/events/

Your feedback and news, or tips about the next issue are welcome. To read this newsletter online, visit: https://syslog-ng.com/blog/

Peter Czanik (CzP) <peter.czanik at oneidentity.com>
Balabit (a OneIdentity company) / syslog-ng upstream
https://syslog-ng.com/community/
https://twitter.com/PCzanik