[syslog-ng] Convert logs back into syslog-ng logs

Laszlo Szemere (lszemere) Laszlo.Szemere at oneidentity.com
Mon Jul 6 18:38:54 UTC 2020

Hello Mark,
 there are many (too many?) options to do this. To avoid "solving a problem that doesn't exist", we should start from your specification. Some helping question:

 - What is writing those files in the first place? (If the soul purpose of those files is to store messages temporary, Syslog-ng has a built in file buffer solution.)
 - What is the format of the individual messages in those files?
 - What is the life cycle of those files. (It is always hazardous if two application is writing and reading the same file at the same time without any synchronization.)

To speed things up:
IF !!! If your file is in syslog format, than a simple "file" source will do the job for you. For further information please read our administration guide: https://www.syslog-ng.com/technical-documents/doc/syslog-ng-open-source-edition/3.21/administration-guide/18#TOPIC-1180429

Best regards,
Laci