[syslog-ng] syslog doesn't log if system date is older than date on last reboot

Abhi Arora engr.abhiarora at gmail.com
Tue Feb 4 07:33:06 UTC 2020

Hi,
I have one embedded device running Linux which doesn't have RTC. So it
loses date and time after every reboot.

uname -a returns:

Linux f1 4.9.175+g0746276 #1 SMP PREEMPT Tue Jan 14 03:09:19 UTC 2020
armv7l armv7l armv7l GNU/Linux

I have observed after every reboot, my board starts with some older time
and my application running in user-space corrects the system time from a
timestamp saved on a file (which is updated every hour). Application also
connects with some server to get latest time. I have noticed that if system
date and time is less than date and time which it had at last shutdown,
then syslog doesn't get any logs from my applications till it has a time
atleast greater than  date and time which it had at last shutdown.

Please help me in debugging the issue and fixing it.