[syslog-ng] Don't change permissions

Fabien Wernli wernli at in2p3.fr
Tue Dec 8 10:07:48 UTC 2020

Hi,

On Mon, Dec 07, 2020 at 09:05:01PM +0000, Faine, Mark R. (MSFC-IS40)[NICS] wrote:
> I'm monitoring the ACL on log files with monit and comparing them to a known good ACL to make sure everything is correct and running a correction script in response to a failure, my problem is that my compare keeps failing because syslog-ng is changing the effective permissions.  Is there a way I can disable this?

The documentation states that you can achieve this by changing the options
of your file() destination:

   owner()
   Type:	string
   Default:		Use the global settings

	 preserve the original properties of an existing file, use the option
	 without specifying an attribute: owner().

   group()
   Type:		string
   Default:	Use the global settings

 	preserve the original properties of an existing file, use the option
 	without specifying an attribute: group().

Source:
https://www.syslog-ng.com/technical-documents/doc/syslog-ng-open-source-edition/3.24/administration-guide/33#TOPIC-1297993