[syslog-ng] Sylog-ng and F5 Load balancer.

SZIGETVÁRI János jszigetvari at gmail.com
Fri Aug 7 08:09:23 UTC 2020

Hi Peter,

Yes, opening a new issue on GitHub may be the best course of action.

So to summarize the alternatives:
* X-Forwarder-For is not feasible, because it's a HTTP header element,
and given that syslog traffic is non-HTTP, it's simply not applicable
* TCP option 28 (as it turned out it's not of the IP protocol, but
TCP) - an enhancement request should be opened for the syslog-ng
project

And finally an additional alternative solution that wouldn't require
any code change on syslog-ng side:
AFAIK the F5 LBs should be able to do NAT so that the original
sender's IP would be added as the source address for the forwarded
traffic.
It is possible that that would require some routing changes on the
network side, but it would be a viable way to preserve the source
addresses of forwarded traffic in a way that syslog-ng would be able
to use it.

Best Regards,
János Szigetvári
--
Janos SZIGETVARI
RHCE, License no. 150-053-692

LinkedIn: linkedin.com/in/janosszigetvari

Make the switch to open (source) applications, protocols, formats now:
- windows -> Linux, iexplore -> Firefox, msoffice -> LibreOffice
- msn -> jabber protocol (Pidgin, Google Talk)
- mp3 -> ogg, wmv -> ogg, jpg -> png, doc/xls/ppt -> odt/ods/odp

Peter Griggs <peter at petergriggs.co.uk> ezt írta (időpont: 2020. aug.
7., P, 9:41):