[syslog-ng] Insider 2019-09: syslog-ng basics; relays; NGINX; Tic-Tac-Toe; sudo; Elastic stack 7; GitHub;

Peter Czanik (pczanik) Peter.Czanik at oneidentity.com
Thu Sep 12 10:02:33 UTC 2019

Dear syslog-ng users,

This is the 75th issue of syslog-ng Insider, a monthly newsletter that
brings you syslog-ng-related news.

NEWS

Building blocks of syslog-ng
----------------------------
Recently I gave a syslog-ng introductory workshop at Pass the SALT conference
in Lille, France. I got a lot of positive feedback, so I decided to
turn all that content into a blog post. Naturally, I shortened and
simplified it, but still managed to get enough material for multiple
blog posts.
This one gives you an overview of syslog-ng, its major features and an
introduction to its configuration.
https://www.syslog-ng.com/community/b/blog/posts/building-blocks-of-syslog-ng

What syslog-ng relays are good for
----------------------------------
While there are some users who run syslog-ng as a stand-alone application,
the main strength of syslog-ng is central log collection. In this
case the central syslog-ng instance is called the server, while the
instances sending log messages to the central server are called the
clients. There is a (somewhat lesser known) third type of instance
called the relay, too. The relay collects log messages via the
network and forwards them to one or more remote destinations after
processing (but without writing them onto the disk for storage). A
relay can be used for many different use cases. We will discuss a few
typical examples below.
https://www.syslog-ng.com/community/b/blog/posts/what-syslog-ng-relays-are-good-for

Visualizing NGINX or Apache access logs in Kibana
---------------------------------------
This tutorial shows you how to parse NGINX or Apache access logs with
syslog-ng and create ECS compatible data in Elasticsearch.
https://balagetech.com/visualizing-nginx-access-logs-kibana/

syslog-ng Tic-Tac-Toe
---------------------
You can play the game of Tic-Tac-Toe using syslog-ng 3.22.1 or later.
Learn how to configure syslog-ng for that:
https://kokan.github.io/2019/06/16/syslog-ng-tic-tac-toe.html

Alerting on sudo events using syslog-ng
---------------------------------------
Why use syslog-ng to alert on sudo events? At the moment, alerting in
sudo is limited to E-mail. Using syslog-ng, however, you can send
alerts (more precisely, selected logs) to a wide variety of
destinations. Logs from sudo are automatically parsed by recent
(3.13+) syslog-ng releases, enabling fine-grained alerting. There is
a lot of hype around our new Slack destination, so that is what I’ll
show here. Naturally, there are many others available as well,
including Telegram and, of course, good old E-mail. If something is
not yet directly supported by syslog-ng, you can often utilize an
HTTP API or write some glue code in Python.
>From this blog post you can learn how to build up a syslog-ng
configuration step by step and how to use different filters to make
sure that you only receive logs (i.e. alerts) that are truly relevant
for you.
https://www.syslog-ng.com/community/b/blog/posts/alerting-on-sudo-events-using-syslog-ng

GitHub and syslog-ng
--------------------
As many of you know, the source code of syslog-ng is available on
GitHub, just like its issue tracker. We just learned that GitHub
itself is running syslog-ng as part of its stack:
https://help.github.com/en/enterprise/2.18/admin/installation/log-forwarding

syslog-ng with Elastic Stack 7
------------------------------
For many years, anything I wrote about syslog-ng and Elasticsearch was
valid for all available versions. Well, not anymore. With version 7
of Elasticsearch, there are some breaking changes. These changes are
mostly related to the fact that Elastic is phasing out type support.
This effects mapping (as the _default_ keyword is not used any more)
and the syslog-ng configuration as well (as even though type() is a
mandatory parameter, you should leave it empty).
This blog post is a rewrite of one of my earlier blog posts (about
creating a heat map using syslog-ng + Elasticsearch + Kibana),
focusing on the changes and the new elasticsearch-http() destination:
https://www.syslog-ng.com/community/b/blog/posts/syslog-ng-with-elastic-stack-7

UPCOMING CONFERENCES

* One Identity UNITE
(https://www.oneidentity.com/unite-conference/unite-phoenix.aspx):
syslog-ng booth

* All Things Open (https://allthingsopen.org/)
syslog-ng talk

* Bsides Luxembourg (https://bsideslux.lu/2019/)
syslog-ng workshop

WEBINARS

* How to Leverage NetFlow and vFlow to Better Monitor Network Traffic
https://www.syslog-ng.com/event/how-to-leverage-netflow-and-vflow-to-monitor-network-traffic8140179/

* You can browse recordings of past webinars at
https://www.syslog-ng.com/events/

Your feedback and news, or tips about the next issue are welcome. To read
this newsletter online, visit: https://syslog-ng.com/blog/

Peter Czanik (CzP) <peter.czanik at oneidentity.com>

Balabit (a OneIdentity company) / syslog-ng upstream

https://syslog-ng.com/community/

https://twitter.com/PCzanik