[syslog-ng] syslog-ng in EPEL 8

Peter Czanik (pczanik) Peter.Czanik at oneidentity.com
Wed Nov 13 09:15:35 UTC 2019

Hi,

Version 3.23.1 of syslog-ng is now available in EPEL 8. It has most, but not all of the syslog-ng features available.

Missing features:

  *   kafka destination, C implementation, as librdkafka is too old
  *   Java destination drivers (kafka, elastic, hdfs), as sources necessary to compile them are not in the distro. Note, that Elastic is supported through elastic-http()
  *   tcp wrapper, as support was removed from RHEL
  *   riemann does not have sub-second precision, as client in EPEL is too old

As missing dependencies arrived to EPEL 8, right now the official EPEL 8 syslog-ng package has more features enabled, than my own experimental EPEL 8 package 🙂

Once 3.25.1 is released, I hope to support RHEL/CentOS 8 from my regular syslog-ng repositories. The difference is not as big as it was before missing dependencies became available, but I still need to figure out some RPM spec magic 🙂

EPEL 8 stays at 3.23 (no version update is allowed there). There are plans to allow new versions into EPEL with each new minor RHEL release, but seeing is believing. It was promised for too many years.

Bye,

Peter Czanik (CzP) <peter.czanik at oneidentity.com>
Balabit (a OneIdentity company) / syslog-ng upstream
https://syslog-ng.com/community/
https://twitter.com/PCzanik