[syslog-ng] Troubleshooting Question

Walter Tienken Walter.Tienken at asu.edu
Fri May 10 20:24:58 UTC 2019

Hi,

Thanks for the suggestions. I ran "nc -lvu 9999" on both the prod and dev machines, I never saw the traffic hit netcat on either machine, but the prod running version 5 PE picked up the test traffic fine and logged it to disk. The dev box running 3.19.1 OSE did not pick up the test traffic nor log it to disk. Admittedly I am not very well versed in using netcat, but I believe that is the correct way to run it (if not please elighten me!). I also verified that no firewall is running on the dev box ... I checked both iptables and firewalld and they are both not running or active. What am I missing?

Thanks,

Walter Tienken
walter.tienken at asu.edu <https://ex2010.asu.edu/owa/redir.aspx?SURL=sS2_o_WV6gQ_JAkG-_VgxIDZLGj9-EeBZIHMzfX5pjLCAxsj0_bSCG0AYQBpAGwAdABvADoAdwBhAGwAdABlAHIALgB0AGkAZQBuAGsAZQBuAEAAYQBzAHUALgBlAGQAdQA.&URL=mailto%3awalter.tienken%40asu.edu>
Cloud and Advanced Network Engineering Services

On 5/10/19, 12:40 AM, "syslog-ng on behalf of Fabien Wernli" <syslog-ng-bounces at lists.balabit.hu on behalf of wernli at in2p3.fr> wrote:

    On Fri, May 10, 2019 at 09:06:19AM +0200, Szemere, László wrote:
    > Hello,
    >  without digging any deeper into you configuration, just a small note: In
    > most of the cases (maybe your will be different!) these kind of problems
    > are network related and has nothing to do with Syslog-ng.
    >  Packet showing up in TCPDUMP doesn't mean necessary that it will
    > eventually reach the application. I would make some tests with a listening
    > netcat application first.

    I second that: tcpdump will happily bypass iptables