[syslog-ng] Syslog-ng options bad_hostname & check_hostname

Delon Lee Di Lun lee.delon2005 at gmail.com
Tue May 7 23:59:12 UTC 2019

Hi,

I was wondering what would happen when the log received hostname matches
the bad-hostname and check-hostname options. Its not written in the
documentation clearly.

My use case was, i have syslog running on my server that is receiving logs
from multiple servers. I have all of them into a central folder.

A pesudo config I am using would be:
source s_udp { network(ip("1.1.1.1") transport("udp") port(514)); };
destination d_servers { file("/mnt/logs/$HOST/$YEAR-$MONTH-$DAY.log"); };
log { source(s_udp); destination(d_servers); };
However, with this config i received weird stuff in the /mnt/logs folder.

[image: image.png]

I was thinking if using both check-hostname and bad-hostname would help
reduce such stuffs.

Yours Sincerely,
Delon