[syslog-ng] Filtering out messages before any other action

Péter, Kókai peter.kokai at oneidentity.com
Wed Mar 27 06:57:50 UTC 2019

Hello,

Without the other part - where you do not expect the message to be
received, and its connection to this logpath it is kinda hard to say much.

Logpath on the same level:
log {
  filter { message("boo"); };

  flags(final);
};

log {
   flags(final);
};

In this case if the first logpath "accepts" the message ( filter matches in
this example ), the other logpath never going to see the message. Otherwise
it will.

But if you use *if* in the first logpath:

log {
  if {
  filter { message("boo"); };
  };

  flags(final);
};

It does not matter if the *filter* matches or not, as either way the
logpath "accepts" the log, so other logpath (not speaking about embedded
logapths) won't see the message.

If you use embedded logpath:

log {
  if {
  filter { message("boo"); };
  };

  log {
     #inner path
  };

  flags(final);
};

Despite the result of the previous *if* the inner logpath is going to get
the message.

Do you have a specific use case to *drop* the message via writing it into
"/dev/null" ?

--
Kokan