[syslog-ng] Periodic "Destination timed out, reaping" and disconnection on a write fifo (pipe)

Charles Eidsness charles at ccxtechnologies.com
Fri Jun 21 16:22:51 UTC 2019

I kind of feel like this is going to be a dumb question but I just can't
figure this out.

I'm trying to get syslog-ng working with sagan, but every 60 seconds
syslog-ng closes the fifo it's writing to, which closes the sagan
connection to the fifo. When running in verbose mode syslog-ng is throwing up
a "Destination timed out, reaping..." message.

I simplified my syslog-ng configuration to:

source s_sys {
    system();
};

destination d_fifo {
    pipe(
        "/tmp/test.fifo"
    );
};

log {
    source(s_sys);
    destination(d_fifo);
};

And then run use cat to read the fifo:
cat /tmp/test.fifo

It sends all of the log traffic every but every 60 seconds cat closes. Is
this expected behavior? Am I missing something?

I'm using syslog-ng version 3.19.1.

Thanks!
Charles

==