[syslog-ng] An External Application For Parsing Existing Syslog-ng Log File

Sezer BAGLAN sezerbaglan at gmail.com
Wed Jun 12 08:59:59 UTC 2019

Dear all,

Please imagine an application which is capable of parsing and displaying
syslog-ng log messages which are written in the order given as template
below:
${ISODATE} ${HOST} ${FACILITY} ${LEVEL} ${LEVEL_NUM} ${TAGS} ${MESSAGE}

1) What is your opinion about the best practices to handle this issue?
Please note that I'm not talking about logging messages with filters and
parsers. I'm talking about parsing an existing syslog-ng log file.

2) Assume that you have a syslog-ng log file and you want to parse this
file manually, is there any known tool/ibrary for this job?

3) Do you suggest using Database functionality of syslog-ng to save logs in
DB to make parsing easier later on?

Thanks in advance.

Kind regards,
Sezer