[syslog-ng] visualizing firewall logs

Czanik, Péter peter.czanik at balabit.com
Tue Jan 15 09:57:48 UTC 2019

Hi,

It was almost two years ago, when I first published how to visualize
firewall logs on a map and create a movie out of the results. By that time
talking to many syslog-ng users the consensus was, that it has no practical
value. It is an eye candy. It can only be used to attract C-level guys
attentions towards security.

Tow years later I see people asking me about log visualization a lot more
often. Did anything change? Is it already more than an eye candy?

I posted an Twitter poll about the topic:
https://twitter.com/PCzanik/status/1084804811713929216

Let me know your opinion with a vote, and if you have the time also with an
explanation here or on Twitter.

Bye,

Peter Czanik (CzP) <peter.czanik at balabit.com>
Balabit (a OneIdentity company) / syslog-ng upstream
https://syslog-ng.com/community/
https://twitter.com/PCzanik