[syslog-ng] Relay log message through Application LoadBalancer

Ronald Fenner rfenner at gamecircus.com
Fri Feb 22 18:06:13 UTC 2019

I'm trying to figure out how to relay a message through an AWS Application Load Balancer.
I have the config setup to relay the message with:
destination d_kafka_unstructured {
    network(
	"<dns-name>" port(9082)
    );};

Look at the tcpdump log I can see that the message is relayed but the ALB doesn't know how to handle it and responds with 400 sinceing the message isn't a HTTP Request.

What would be the best way to wrap the message in a http like request that the ALB will understand. Is there an easy way to just tell syslog-ng to relay the message as HTTP or would I need to write something to add/strip the HTTP wrapper.

Ronald Fenner
Network Architect
Game Circus LLC.

rfenner at gamecircus.com