[syslog-ng] Permissions Issues

Faine, Mark R. (MSFC-IS40)[NICS] mark.faine at nasa.gov
Tue Apr 16 15:23:05 UTC 2019

syslog-ng 3.18.1
RHEL 6.10

Can someone please help me understand what I'm doing wrong?  I thought that when I set the following on a destination:

create_dirs(yes);
dir-owner(myuser);
dir-group(myuser);
group(myuser);
owner(myuser);
perm(0640);

that files and directories would be created with those permissions, however, I'm seeing something strange.  It seems that syslog-ng still wants to create and write to files with root.root.  Also, and this is even more unexpected. If I change the permissions on the directories before starting syslog-ng, it fails to write to the directories that are not root.root.

Am I missing something?

Thanks,
-Mark