[syslog-ng] RFC-5424 configuration with IPV6 is not working

venkateswarlu vinjamuri venkates.vin at gmail.com
Thu Sep 27 14:08:56 UTC 2018

Hi,

*issue*: syslog-ng is not starting if we configure IPV6 IP along with
RFC-5424 format
Using below command to run syslog-ng:
/sbin/syslog-ng -f /etc/syslog-ng/syslog-ng.conf -R /var/syslog-ng.persist
-p /var/syslog-ng.pid

Getting the below error:
------------------------------

*syslog-ng: Error changing to Unknown syslog transport specified, please
use one of udp, tcp, or tls; transport='udp6', id='df_remote_0#0'*

Could anyone please let me know what should be the configuration in
syslog-ng.conf for IPV6 syslog-ng server IP with RFC-5424 format.

we are using syslog-ng-3.3.7 version.

*If the below configuration is correct, will it work if we upgrade to newer
version with the below configuration?*

I am using the below configuration in syslog-ng.conf:
options {
  stats_freq (0);
  flush_lines (0);
  time_reopen (10);
  log_fifo_size (10000);
  chain_hostnames (off);
  use_dns (no);
  create_dirs (no);
  keep_hostname (no);
  perm(0640);
  group("root");
};

# sources
source s_all {
 internal();
unix-stream("/dev/log");
file("/proc/kmsg" program_override("kernel: "));
 };

filter f_remote { facility(local7); };
destination df_remote_0 {syslog("xxxx:xxxx:xxxx:xxxx:xxxx"
transport("udp6"));};
log { source(s_all); filter(f_remote); destination(df_remote_0

Please help if there is any issue in the above configuration?

Regards,
V/