[syslog-ng] Disk based queuing with rsyslog?

PÁSZTOR György pasztor at linux.gyakg.u-szeged.hu
Wed May 9 12:40:43 UTC 2018

Hi,

"Delon Lee Di Lun" <lee.delon2005 at gmail.com> írta 2018-05-09 12:21-kor:
> I understand that this is a syslog-ng mailling list but however, in my
> setup I am testing. I have to use rsyslog for the client.
>
> Has anybody tried a client as rsyslog and the server as syslog-ng does the
> flow-control still kick in? Assume transportation protocol is TCP.
>
> I want to see if anybody tried it before, or let me know its impossible
> before i commit my time into testing the setup.

Well, I don't have first hands experience with this setup. But based on my
current knowledge: it should work.
So if you set up proper flow control on the syslog-ng side for the tcp
source, and you also setup a disk buffer on the sender rsyslog side, it
should fulfill your expectations, and should not loose any log events.

I didn't analyzed exceptional cases here, eg. when you have some kind of
transparent "loadbalancer" between your rsyslog and syslog-ng, and if your
rsyslog get the ack but syslog-ng didn't really received the data.
It's just playing with thoughts. So I could imagine situations when all your
intention aiming failsafe log transportation will let you down. But it
needs a really f..d up network configuration! In this case, if you can not
trust your network setup, I suggest using an extra ssl layer for mutualy
check parties via certificates. syslog-ng can handle that natively:
https://syslog-ng.com/documents/html/syslog-ng-ose-latest-guides/en/syslog-ng-ose-guide-admin/html/tls-mutualauth.html
The last time I check this part of rsyslog, they suggested using an stunnel
for that scenario. If it's still the case, then stunnel can be a weak point:
when rsyslog thinks it handed over the data to stunnel, but if that
"crashes" or restarts, then it will loose its own buffer.
Honestly, I don't know if rsyslog has any improvment on that side.

Cheers,
Gyu