[syslog-ng] hostname not appearing correctly when receiving logs from switches

Clayton Dukes cdukes at logzilla.net
Mon May 7 20:46:45 UTC 2018

Hi Balazs,
Sorry for the delay, I don’t get a lot of free time these days :)
I have attached a pcap as well as a raw log. The log is prior to any manipulation of LogZilla rules, etc.

This is easily reproduceable.
Also, if I add show-timezone to the device config, the host field shows up.
The problem, of course, is that we can’t tell all of our customers to re-configure all of their cisco devices.
We have documented the work-around here (search the page for “hostname missing”):
http://demo.logzilla.net/help/receiving_data/cisco_ios_configuration

This problem never existed before, but I am not certain which syslog-ng version it started occurring in.