[syslog-ng] netcat tests

Eric Benoit eric.r.benoit at gmail.com
Wed Jun 6 09:24:42 UTC 2018

Hi List,

I wanted to send a test message to my syslog-ng server.

I tried this:

> echo -n "test message" | nc -4u -w1 192.168.100.10 514

But I saw no logs created on the syslog-ng server.

I did see the udp package on wireshark.

Will syslog-ng except my test message the way I have it formatted and log
it, does my message need to be formatted in a specific way for syslog-ng to
except and create a log?

Also, should I change syslog-ng to TCP instead of UDP to better trouble
shoot any network problems I might have pending my netcat test message
looks ok for syslog-ng server to except and log?

I'm not very good at articulating questions, so I hope what I wrote makes
sense if it does not please let me know and I will spend some more time
rephrasing my questions.

Thank you for any suggestions or comments