[syslog-ng] (U) Find the source systems that write to specific Syslog Server

Scheidler, Balázs balazs.scheidler at oneidentity.com
Tue Jul 3 12:41:54 UTC 2018

Hi,

the syslog messages contain a $HOST field, which relates to the hostname
they are posted by. Not all OSes fill this field, in that case syslog-ng
attempts to do a reverse-DNS lookup.

In cases where a log message travels multiple hops (e.g. multiple relays)
and where the $HOST field is not kept in-tact, this information can be lost.

also, syslog-ng (at least recent releases) can optionally keep  an internal
table of counters, which contain host specific counters at stats-level(2)
or stats-level(3), I can't remember which.

Bazsi