[syslog-ng] Directory/file create ownership

Dwijadas Dey dwijad at gmail.com
Tue Feb 27 11:05:08 UTC 2018

Add create_dirs (yes) in the options section.

On 27-Feb-2018 2:24 PM, "Machiel Richards" <machiel.richards at gmail.com>
wrote:

Good day guys

      I am having an issue that I seem not be able to resolve thus far.

      I am fairly new to syslog-ng and have setup a new syslog server.

      We have managed to get most of our servers sending logs to the server
without issues, however I am having trouble to get syslog-ng to create the
directories and files with the correct ownership.

      We have a seperate user and group which it needs to create
directories with, however it keeps on creating directories and files as
root user.

below is my current config :

# First, set some global options.
options { chain_hostnames(off); flush_lines(0); use_dns(yes);
use_fqdn(yes); owner("syslog"); group("syslog"); perm(0640); stats_freq(0);
bad_hostname("^gconfd$"); log_fifo_size(10000); };

source inputs {
       system();
       internal();
       unix-stream("/dev/log");
       tcp(max_connections(50));
       udp();
};

destination logpile {
           file("/var/log/HOSTS/$HOST/$YEAR/$MONTH/$FACILITY.$YEAR$
MONTH$DAY"
           owner("syslog") group("syslog") perm(0660)
           create_dirs(yes) dir_perm(0770)); };

        log { source(inputs); destination(logpile); };

Can someone please assist me as any help would be appreciated.

Regard

--
I am a bomb technician...If you see me running, TRY TO KEEP UP!

product=syslog-ng
FAQ: http://www.balabit.com/wiki/syslog-ng-faq