[syslog-ng] RFC5424 sending - dest=unix-stream. Framing?

Declan White declanw at is.bbc.co.uk
Thu Feb 1 21:33:21 UTC 2018

I have syslog-ng pumping data into a unix-stream destination socketfilething.

Data going into this domain socket has lots of adventures, and then emerges as a source unix-stream on another host.
Both have flags(syslog-protocol), but the data gets framing errors at the receiver.

I think it's become a bytestream (instead of a message stream) enroute, and the recv() is relying on only getting one message at a time, because it can't know the message length any other way, as unix-stream gets messages without framing(?).

Is there a way to salvage this? (I noticed TLS might add framing, but since the tunnel is already TLS ...)

--
Declan White