[syslog-ng] How to rewrite structured data - XML, Windows Events and format-json

Várady, László laszlo.varady at balabit.com
Tue Aug 28 20:55:47 UTC 2018

Hi,

In your test file destination, the content of $MESSAGE is used (which is in
raw XML format).
Additionally to the raw XML format, syslog-ng parses all XML tags and
attributes and stores them as key-value pairs.
When you switch to format-json(), these key-value pairs are used instead of
$MESSAGE, that's why your rewrite rule stops working.

My suggestion would be to change the rewrite rule to remove the unwanted
text from the appropriate key-value pair.
For example,

subst(
    "This event.*",
    "DEADBEEF",
    value(".windowsevent.Event.a.b.c.Message")
);

The exact name of the key can be extracted from the JSON output.

--
László Várady