[syslog-ng] Insider 2018-04: RHEL6; Windows Event Log; Patched RPM; HEC; Conferences;

Czanik, Péter peter.czanik at balabit.com
Thu Apr 12 09:56:58 UTC 2018

Dear syslog-ng users,

This is the 66th issue of syslog-ng Insider, a monthly newsletter that
brings you syslog-ng-related news.

NEWS

syslog-ng is available for RHEL 6 / CentOS 6 again

After more than a year, the latest version of syslog-ng compiles again
on Red Hat Enterprise Linux version 6. This is thanks to a patch from
Balázs Scheidler which resolves compatibility problems with older glib
releases by implementing the missing functions within syslog-ng.

https://syslog-ng.com/blog/latest-syslog-ng-available-rhel-6-centos-6/

Agentless Windows logging
-------------------------

With syslog-ng Premium Edition, you can collect Windows event logs
without installing any third-party application on your Windows-based
computer.

Learn more about it from our blog at
https://syslog-ng.com/blog/how-to-collect-windows-event-logs-with-syslog-ng-without-installing-an-agent/
or join our webinar where you can also ask questions:
https://www.brighttalk.com/webcast/16207/314789?utm_source=OSE/

Build your own syslog-ng RPM
----------------------------

When a user reports a problem with syslog-ng, developers create code
to fix it. The fix is called a patch or a pull request (PR) in Git
terminology. Often this code does not enter the main source code
automatically but developers ask the user to test the fix before the
code is merged. A new challenge starts here: figuring out how to test
a proposed fix. This blog shows you how to download and patch the
syslog-ng source code and build easy-to-install (and remove) RPM
packages from it.

https://syslog-ng.com/blog/build-syslog-ng-rpm-patched-git-sources-rhel-centos-7/

While this blog introduces you to package building in depth, a lot
simpler method is also available for Ubuntu packages and should be
working soon again for RHEL / CentOS as well:

https://github.com/balabit/syslog-ng/tree/master/dbld

Sending logs to Splunk HEC
--------------------------

Recently Splunk started to recommend the use of the HTTP Event
Collector (HEC) instead of forwarders. syslog-ng supports this in
multiple ways. In a previous blog, we showed you how to use the http()
destination of syslog-ng. This time, we introduce you to another
possibility: using an external python script to send logs to HEC.

Read our blog at
https://syslog-ng.com/blog/splunk-hec-sending-logs-using-program-destination-syslog-ng/
or watch the webinar at
https://www.brighttalk.com/webcast/16207/308061

Conferences: CentOS Dojo, FOSDEM and SCALE

Recently syslog-ng was presented at some popular open source
conferences. Read about the presentations and experiences in related
blogs:

CentOS Dojo & FOSDEM: https://syslog-ng.com/blog/centos-dojo-fosdem-2018/

SCALE: https://syslog-ng.com/blog/syslog-ng-scale-2018/

UPCOMING EVENTS

LOADays: http://loadays.org/ (Antwerp)

Red Hat Summit: https://www.redhat.com/en/summit/2018 (San Francisco)

Your feedback and news, or tips about the next issue are welcome at
documentation at balabit.com. To read this newsletter online, visit:
https://syslog-ng.com/blog/

Peter Czanik (CzP) <peter.czanik at balabit.com>
Balabit / syslog-ng upstream