[syslog-ng] Cross-compiling syslog-ng 3.11.1 for an embedded application.

Robert King robert.king at tellabs.com
Fri Sep 29 15:29:38 UTC 2017

Greetings!  We are currently running syslog-ng v3.8.1 in an embedded Linux system.  However, we want to upgrade to 3.11.1 in order to eliminate some memory leaks.  Unfortunately we've run into a bit of a snag getting 3.11.1 to run on our target system.

Under 3.8.1, syslogND is an ELF binary installed in the sbin directory.  Under 3.11.1, it is a *script* installed in sbin.  This script is trying to do some bad things including linking an executable (lt-syslog-ng, I believe.)  We do not have a linker that will run on the target system.  We cannot link anything.

What is the reason behind this and how can it be circumvented?

-- Robert King, Tellabs