[syslog-ng] New website and official repo coming up, tell us what you think!

Czanik, Péter peter.czanik at balabit.com
Thu Sep 14 10:21:39 UTC 2017

Hi,

We at Balabit are and have always been both very excited and humbled by the
community that formed around syslog-ng over the past two decades. Many of
you have been a part of this long journey and helped syslog-ng to get to
where it is today, and we thank you for that.

Throughout the years, we provided a best-in-class documentation not just
for our commercial offerings but for syslog-ng Open Source Edition as
well. However,
for the past half decade official binaries existed only for syslog-ng
Premium Edition.

Soon, this will change.

We will introduce a brand new website for all that is syslog-ng, and with
that will come an official syslog-ng OSE repository with binaries for some
of the most popular Linux distributions. We expect to launch syslog-ng.com
in November, moving content for both OSE and its commercial versions to the
site to become a single hub for all syslog-ng users.

The official syslog-ng OSE repository will be just a part (although a major
one) of a comprehensive overhaul of our OSE related content providing
platform. We will provide regular technical webinars and trainings for
syslog-ng OSE users, more blogs on practical tips&tricks, common use cases,
etc. We plan to channel all syslog-ng related discussion into a forum on
the new site, although this will take some more time. And we already
started putting in more resources into the development of the Open Source
Edition.

This is a major commitment on our side to the community, and we know that
it is the right move. However, we haven't quite decided on the
implementation yet, and we are looking for your feedback on this. This is a
serious business decision and ultimately all stakeholders (we as a company
and you as a member of the community) have to benefit from this move,
otherwise there is no reason to do it.

We are listing all these so you can see the bigger picture before we
present you the question: Would you register on the upcoming syslog-ng
website to get access to the official repository and the aforementioned
content?

What would you gain if you registered?

   - Access to a repository containing the latest syslog-ng packages
   (technically, you would receive a key that you could include in FIXME)
   - Alerts, announcements and news about the syslog-ng releases
   - Regular news about syslog-ng related content to help you better solve
   problems with syslog-ng (blog posts, tutorials, interesting use cases about
   problems that others solved with syslog-ng, and so on)

What would we gain if you registered?

   - First and foremost, we would get information immensely useful for us
   to optimize our development resources. How many of you use the
   repositories, which versions of syslog-ng you use, which platforms are the
   most important, which ones you do not use anymore, and so on.
   Unfortunately, we cannot get such data if you use external repositories
   (like the current unofficial ones), or if you install syslog-ng from your
   distribution.
   - Information about in which countries are hubs of syslog-ng users, for
   example, where could we organize meetups most successfully, or participate
   in local conferences to strengthen the community.
   - The ability to send you information about syslog-ng, both to help you
   learn about the possibilities of syslog-ng, and also to let you know about
   our commercial offerings. We know that some of you won't be interested in
   anything commercial, and that's fine. But to keep syslog-ng alive, we also
   need the support of those who do. We believe that registering on the new
   website and receiving the occasional email from us is a small favor to ask
   in return of the convenience of having access to a official repository with
   up-to-date packages, and we will strive to send you emails with useful
   content.

 Please let us know what you think using this short Google Form.
<https://goo.gl/forms/TmTJY8CkRAzUwtEA2>

Bye,

Peter Czanik (CzP) <peter.czanik at balabit.com>
Balabit / syslog-ng upstream