[syslog-ng] [Non-DoD Source] Re: Syslog 3.5 (pipe file issue)

László Várady laszlo.varady at balabit.com
Fri Oct 27 15:27:57 UTC 2017

Hi,

As Laci pointed out, this is an expected behavior.
Named pipes are not regular files, the "file size" is always 0 byte.

>From https://linux.die.net/man/4/fifo:
*When processes are exchanging data via the FIFO, the kernel passes all
data internally without writing it to the file system.*

If you are interested in the capacity of named pipes, you can read about
this here:
https://linux.die.net/man/7/pipe (Chapter name: Pipe capacity)

--
László Várady