[syslog-ng] (no subject)

Kókai Péter peter.kokai at balabit.com
Wed Nov 15 16:49:41 UTC 2017

Hello,

> 1. Will syslog-ng run just fine receiving udp and sending udp with those
errors and without that module? If, so, I don’t care if I don’t get that
module.

The modules most of the time are independent, and the network (udp, tcp)
are independent of the afql module, so as long as you do not want to use
SQL in configuration it shall be fine.

> 2. Is it possible to run syslog-ng and disable that module in the run
command?

In the 3.2 version it loads a few modules by default based on the build
configuration, this can be turned off with "@autoload-compiled-modules 0",
with using this also make sure that nor in your configuration nor in the
included files (scl.conf, module.conf) you do not have "@module afsql".

In this case it should not try to load the module. (I did not try it
myself, this is purely based on code and documentation)

> 3. Can I remove syslog-ng and re-install disable that module on install?

I do not think it is possible with install, but via config (see above).

> 4. I’d rather not recompile if I don’t have to, but I found instructions
for how to do that. Any tips would be appreciated.

Would you like to re-compile the 3.2 version ?
For newer version you could check either the docker image file:
https://github.com/balabit/syslog-ng/blob/master/dbld/images/centos7/Dockerfile
(it
has steps to create an environment to compile syslog-ng in centos6)
Alternatively you could check our Travis CI file for steps:
https://github.com/balabit/syslog-ng/blob/master/.travis.yml (unfortunately
this is for ubuntu)

extra:
> yum install --downloadonly syslog-ng-libdbi

The SQL is depending on the libdbi, which is not part of the syslog-ng, so
you should try to find the libdbi packet instead of the syslog-ng-libdbi

--
Kokan