[syslog-ng] How to get list of IPs

Evan Rempel erempel at uvic.ca
Fri May 12 18:06:57 UTC 2017

Since the syslog messages might come from UDP sources, you can not look at connections. You have to look at all of the host names in all of the log lines.

The way we address this is to have a program destination that we send just the hostname to for EVERY log line. That program keeps a running hash and every 5 minutes logs its own line

2017-05-12T00:00:23.225-07:00 local at syslogserver.comp.uvic.ca local0.info flare-heartbeat[14903]: got syslog messages from syslogclient.comp.uvic.ca

Your program could update a database or any other repository on a 5 minute interval. If that load is too much, just switch to a 10 minute interval.

We feed these "got syslog messages" lines into another program that manages a heartbeat timer for every host, and if the "got syslog messages" line is missing
for a host, we alert ourselves to the fact that syslog messages have stopped arriving for a host.

We wrote our program in perl, which can update hashes very quickly. Our test shows we can handle 1 million events per second and track them all via this approach.
We are only tracking 1000+ hosts via this mechanism.

I hope that is helpful.

Evan.