[syslog-ng] Does Syslog-NG Support Multiline Messages

Jim Hendrick james.r.hendrick at gmail.com
Sun Mar 26 17:55:46 UTC 2017

It does if the source does (check the documentation for file() or syslog()
options)

I also had a log source that sent related events in separate messages that
were interleaved with other messages and ended up using the program()
destination to send the logs to a custom handler I wrote.

Essentially I had multiple "keys" for incoming email messages that tied
events together like:
- a single incoming SMTP session (potentially with multiple messages)
- a single message ID with multiple events about the message (recipients,
attachments, anti-malware, etc)
- a single delivery connection (again with multiple messages)
- a single delivery message ID again with multiple events

The program parsed these in realtime incoming stream, building internal
data structures (hash of hashes) and when it looked *complete* (including a
timeout) for a particular thing it would send the data across as JSON to
the destination (Elasticsearch in this case)

So - long answer to your question - Yes - in a few different ways :-)

Best,
Jim