[syslog-ng] docker based, local builds

Scheidler, Balázs balazs.scheidler at balabit.com
Mon Jun 5 19:51:37 UTC 2017

Hi,

I've just submitted a PR that makes it easy to build rpms and debs locally,
out of a freshly checked out syslog-ng tree and/or a release tarball.

If you download a release tarball (one that contains debian packaging
files), all you need to build it to Ubuntu or Debian is:

# this one builds the Ubuntu build image locally
$ dbld/rules image-zesty
$ dbld/rules deb-zesty

But rpm-centos7 and deb-jessie also work. Check out the help screen for
dbld/rules and the PR.

This should make it pretty trivial to get binaries that you can deploy in
production.

This is just a bare-bones stuff, later on support can be added to a lot
more distros.

If you want to use it in a freshly cloned copy of syslog-ng, checked out
from github, that will not have debian packaging (at least for now), you'll
need to merge the "release" branch in order to get them.

# this one gets the debian/rpm packaging locally
$ git clone git at github.com:balabit/syslog-ng.git
$ cd syslog-ng
$ git merge origin/release
$ dbld/rules image-centos7
$ dbld/rules rpm-centos7

I still don't like that the "release" branch lives separate, but I can't
change that without discussing it with our Debian maintainer first.