[syslog-ng] Error initializing message pipeline;

Damian Bell Damian.Bell at clarksons.com
Fri Jan 20 14:02:53 UTC 2017

Worked out http mode only supported not long after receiving the mail from Fabien, and now all working (thanks!).

A more “generalised” question – I’ve used syslog-ng for years as a network engineer to receive Cisco network device input and output it to file, both as individual host data and also a collected “all” file on which I’ve used a very simple “swatch” implementation to both screen out noise, and also highlight interesting network events (routing convergence etc), as per config below. I’d like to replicate this somewhat with the syslog-ng/ES/Kibana build I now have, but I’m wondering the best way of doing it – should I filter “non-interesting” traffic at the syslog-ng level (if so, what is the best practice?) or do so at the Kibana level? In terms of transportation from syslog-ng into ES, does anyone have any tips or pointers as to the best way of formatting Cisco switch/firewall/router logs to best be utilised within ES/Kibana?

Thank you very much in advance.

Damian Bell
Infrastructure Engineer | Support | H Clarkson & Co Ltd