[syslog-ng] Syslog-no Question

Fekete, Róbert robert.fekete at balabit.com
Wed Feb 22 13:57:37 UTC 2017

Hi,

No, you can't have both listen on the same port.
Basically, the network() driver is for RFC3164-formatted messages, while
the syslog() driver is for RFC5424-formatted messages. (To complicate
things, the network() driver has a syslog-protocol flag to receive
RFC5424-formatted messages, but the on-wire format is not entirely the same
(no framing, AFAIK), so they are not compatible.)

Basically, using matching drivers between the clients-server works best,
see
https://www.balabit.com/documents/syslog-ng-ose-latest-guides/en/syslog-ng-ose-guide-admin/html/concepts-things-to-consider.html

To receive different types of messages on the server, it is usually best to
send the different messages to separate ports.

Regards,

Robert