[syslog-ng] unidirectional unix-stream

Fabien Wernli wernli at in2p3.fr
Wed Apr 12 11:21:05 UTC 2017

Hi,

I'm trying to use the unix-stream destination to send data to another
application which opens the socket in line mode. The problem is that both
ends complain about the connection breaking all the time:

    syslog-ng[31002]: Syslog connection broken; fd='24', server='AF_UNIX(/var/run/otherapp.sock)', time_reopen='60'
    otherapp[123445]: failed to read from socket #10: Connection reset by peer

I tracked down the problem to the fact that otherapp sends some data after receiving a line from syslog-ng: "data ok", and syslog-ng doesn't seem to like that.

If I set up a unidirectional proxy (that filters out upstream "data ok") between syslog-ng and otherapp everything works fine:

    socat -u UNIX-LISTEN:/tmp/proxy.sock,fork UNIX-CONNECT:/var/run/otherapp.sock

Am I doing something wrong here, or is this a known limitation of syslog-ng?